FLINTS: Farmer LIst of Non-Technical Skills
What is FLINTS?
FLINTS is a behavioural marker system designed to support the training and assessment of farmer non-technical skills (NTS). Behavioural marker systems are rating scales based on lists of skills and are used to identify observable non-technical behaviours that contribute to superior or substandard performance. They consist of three key parts:
- A list of necessary non-technical skills for performance in a specific role
- Examples of good and poor observable behaviours related to each skill
- A rating scale to score behaviours and provide structured feedback
How was FLINTS developed?
FLINTS is the result of more than 6 years of research, including interview and survey studies with hundreds of farmers, designed to identify the key NTS for farmers. That body of research was combined to produce the definitive list of farmer NTS and associated elements. This was followed by a series of discussion and review groups with farmers, farm safety professionals and key farming organisations, to produce observable behaviours for each element.
Who can use FLINTS?
The FLINTS system is intended to be used for the following purposes:
- To provide a framework for discussion of non-technical skills with farmers as part of on-farm toolkit talks, briefings or debriefings.
- For use as a rating tool to assess farmer non-technical skill performance through observing farmer behaviour in practice. This assessment might constitute part of a training programme, safety evaluation or farm visit from a safety professional.
- To provide structured feedback on non-technical skill performance and development.
- As support for individual self-development and reflection on practice.
As such farmers can use FLINTS as a self-reflection tool, or as the basis for NTS discussions with colleagues, contractors and farm workers. Farm safety inspectors and professionals can incorporate FLINTS into the assessment of safety and / or the provision of training. Farming organisations may also wish to incorporate FLINTS into training provision and / or as the basis for discussions and presentations about farm safety.
FLINTS is free to download and use for personal, organisational and non-profit purposes.